Monday, March 29, 2010

Thoughts on Style





In the proud words of Coco Chanel, "fashions fade, but style is eternal".

A side note: Although I had to create this blog as a project for a design class, I have decided to use it, considering I study and love fashion, art, makeup, hair, photography, and writing.

As it usually is, style is on my mind today, and I thought I'd write about it. I'm sure you all know about street fashion websites such as "The Sartorialist", where photos of peoples daily outfits are posted. These people all have a certain "personal style" that defines what they choose to wear each day. Personally, I do not believe everyone is born with an innate sense of style (as in how to put outfits together), but that some people can create it, using the aid of fashion magazines and well designed clothing.

The thing about style is, it can be anything you want, and it doesn't matter whether or not everyone loves it. I can see an insanely "preppy" person walking down the street in a Lacoste polo, Kate Spade purse and a khaki skirt, and even though that isn't necessarily how I choose to dress, I can appreciate the outfit if it is well put together. One of my best friends is, in fact, quite preppy herself.

Yes, I have gone though phase after phase of wondering what my "style" is, going back and forth between grungy, punk, girly, and the like. However, each and every one of those phases has helped to mold my personal style into what it is now. I cannot describe my style in one word. It is a little bit of a lot of things. The notion of being a "stylist" for magazines and celebrities has always interested me, because I love to make people feel and look beautiful. I adore creating beautiful ensembles that have been inspired by something. Maybe I'll go that route career wise, who knows?

Some of the people who's personal style I really admire..
. Rachel Zoe- She stays true to her glamorous 70's inspired look, always mixing vintage with
new designer pieces.


. Victoria Beckham- The true essence of "sexy". Always feminine, but with sass. She has been someone I have looked up to since she was labeled Posh Spice. Now, with her own label, she is truly making leaps for herself.


. "Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha, and Miranda"- Though they are television characters, the Sex and the City girls can all teach a woman to be fearless in what she chooses to put on. All with a very different, distinct personality, they all share an insane passion for beautiful clothes.


. Lady Gaga- Yes, the infamous "Gaga" is a lady I truly admire. She is outlandish, but always stays true to herself. A person who says she'd "never let her fans see her without an amazing outfit on" is someone I want to look up to.


. Pin-ups- The woman to be in the 1950's was a Marylin Monroe-esque pin-up. Though I admire Monroe herself very much, I am looking at the big picture here. The style was classy and extremely sexy at the same time, with perfect hair and makeup. Pin-up style is one I take a lot from, and I think it truly embodies what it means to be a woman.





. Betsey Johnson: My all time favorite style icon. An 80's party girl, and always fabulous fashion designer. The true wild-child.


. Audrey Kitching: The L.A. model with a big pink do'. She's adorable, a bit outrageous, and extremely girly. One of the big reasons I dyed my hair pink a few years back.



Other People I admire: Ashley/Mary-kate Olsen, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Gwen Stefani, Patricia Field, Isabella Blow,


No comments:

Post a Comment